Featured: M. H. Krishna Page 2 of 5
M. H. Krishna was invited to deliver a series of public lectures on ‘Indian History and Archaeology’. He totally delivered about seven lectures in 1926.
University of Mysore
M. H. Krishna came to Mysore in 1926. In addition to his position in the History Department at University of Mysore, he held an additional brief at the Department of Archaeology till 1944 where after the department was divulged away from the umbrella of the University. He assumed full time leadership at the Department of Archaeology from 1944 onwards.
The next two to three decades would come to be remembered later as the ‘Golden Age’ of University of Mysore. Maharaja Nalwadi Krishna Raja Wodeyar and Diwan Sir M. Visweswaraiah had assembled a star faculty at the University having roped in some of the best minds in every stream of study from across the nation.
To name a few, Brajendranath Seal from Bengal, Radha Kumud Mukherjee, Nishikantha Chattopadhyaya (father of Sarojini Naidu), A. R. Wadia (from Bombay), K. T. Shah, C. R. Reddy (from Hyderabad), S. Radhakrishnan (from Madras), M. Hiriyanna, M. H. Krishna, R. Shamasastry, N. S. Subba Rao, M. V. Gopalaswamy, B. M. Srikantaiah, T. S. Venkannayya and A. R. Krishnasastri.
During this time, he was president of the “University Historical Association”. M. H. Krishna emphasized on the study of Karnataka history and cultural history of Karnataka; a tradition subsequently carried on by his student S. Srikanta Sastri (1935 onwards). Krishna became the head of the department of History at University of Mysore in 1932. Next year he was made a member of the University Senate Academic Council. In 1939, he was made Dean of Faculty of Arts.
19 August, 1892
23 December, 1947
University of Mysore
History, Archaeology, Indology, Numismatics, Epigraphy
Maharaja College, Mysore
Dept. of Archaeology, Mysore State.
'Epigraphia Carnatica' (ed.)
Discovery of Halmidi Inscription
Discovery of city of Isila
Several Travel Guides
Discovery of Shivaji's father's tomb
Maharaja Krishnaraja Wadiyar III
(14 July 1794 – 27 March 1868)
M. H. Krishna was, for many years, an examiner for various courses in the University, Indian Civil Service exams, and at University of Allahabad and University of Bombay. M. H. Krishna nurtured many a future scholar under his wings while at the University. His students include S. Srikanta Sastri, Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar, Dinakara Desai, M. Seshadri, N. Anantarangachar,
Maharaja College Group Photo showing S. Srikanta Sastri, M. H. Krishna, J. C. Rollo and Jayachamarajendra Wodeyar
M. N. Srinivas, S. R. Rao, B. Sheikh Ali, A. V. Venkatarathnam, C. M. Vedavalli, M. P. L. Sastry, E. R. Sethuram, D. Javaregowda, G. Venkatasubbiah, S. V. Parameshwara Bhatta and Chaduranga.
His years as an archaeologist
The Mysore Government Archaeological Department had its inception in 1885. Pioneers like Benjamin Lews Rice, R. Narasimhachar, R. Shamasastry toiled to lay strong foundations for this great establishment. The organization was instrumental in the initial decades in unearthing of hundreds of forgotten inscriptions from across the state.
B. L. Rice himself was instrumental in collecting close to 9000 inscriptions in his tenure. He later brought forth these in 12 Volumes as ‘Epigraphia Carnatica’. His successor R. Narasimhacharya discovered and catalogued 5000 inscriptions. R. Shamasastry was instrumental in bringing to light about 1000 inscriptions and M. H. Krishna added to this corpus by discovering close to 2000 inscriptions in his life time!
To name some of the famous inscriptions discovered by M. H. Krishna:
1) Mayura Verma’s Chandravalli Inscription.
2) ‘Rashtrakuta – Pandurangapalli’ Inscription.
3) ‘Gangarasa II Madhavana Keregelur Shashana